Photobucket  photo linec_zpsaf5a5183.jpg Photobucket  photo linec_zpsaf5a5183.jpg Photobucket  photo linec_zpsaf5a5183.jpg Photobucket  photo linec_zpsaf5a5183.jpg Photobucket

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Denim Shirt Refashion // DIY

Today we will be doing a denim shirt refashion! It's quite easy and super cute.

And it was free. 
My wallet is doing little jumps for joy right now. Wish you could see it - so cute, little wallet.

But first, a quick message from our sponsors...aka me.

If you missed any of the projects from the REPURPOSE OCTOBER series, be sure to check them out! 

   

   

(Click on the pictures to be taken to the full tutorial)

Today's Jean Shirt Refashion:



Read on to learn how!

Here's what you'll need:
-denim shirt to refashion
-other fabric (it's a great way to use leftover scraps!)
-well-fitting button up shirt
-sewing machine, scissors, pins, etc.

Here's what you do:

1. Turn your denim shirt inside out and lay it flat on the floor. Take your well-fitting button up shirt and lay it on top of your denim shirt, lining up the neck and shoulders.


Mark, pin in place, and then sew. Cut off excess fabric after trying it on for size.

2. Now, put the side seams facing up and down (shown in picture below) and cut off the bottom to make the hem a little shorter. (This step can be skipped if it is a good length already).


Fold the hem under twice, pin in place, then sew.

3. My denim shirt had a lovely little "Cowboys" logo on the pocket. Not exactly high fashion. So I decided to cover it up with some scrap fabric. To do this, seam rip the pocket off of the shirt.


Then, take a piece of fabric, wrap it around the edges, pin down, and sew in place on the shirt. I did two rows of stitching to make it look like original.


4. The right side of the shirt also had a stain on the front (c'mon, shirt! So many problems.) I covered that up with a large panel of fabric. To do this, cut a piece of fabric about the shape of the side of the shirt you want to cover. 

Then, working your way around the edges, fold the edge of the fabric under to make it look nice, pin in place, and sew.


And voila! You're done! This project was literally free for me because a family friend gave me the old shirt and I used fabric from my scrap bin.
_______________________________________________________________________

"Be still and know that I am God."
-Psalm 46:10

Have a great week, friends!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely adore the shirt. What a fantastic idea! I also love the Monopoly House-necklace - what an awesome idea. I am definitely going to dig out my old Monopoly game!

    PS: I love your site. I will follow you on Bloglovin' straight away!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback? Questions? Say it here! I love hearing from you all.

Please keep your comments and feedback kind and uplifting.